18 May 2007

It's coming, I promise

I've been trying really hard to write a summary of the recent presidential election here in France but I'm finding it really difficult and not for lack of trying (seriously, it's been bugging me for a while now). The conclusion that I've come to is that I can't write about this election without writing first about politics in France more broadly, and I can't do that until I write about France in general. Without this context there would be unconscionable lack of subtlety and it would sound like any other generalized assessment of France and it's politics (Sarkozy=Bush, France is tearing itself apart, etc...) no of which is true, at least not completely true.

With this in mind I am going to begin writing a series of several installments reflecting on France, her politics, and this most recent election. In the meantime I'll try and jazz things up with posts on other subjects as well. Mark this as my return to the world of the blogging, expect updates shortly (seriously this time).

No comments:

Post a Comment