07 September 2006

Bonjour! (That means "Hello!")

Here I am, in Paris. Everything went well getting here, I had an exit row on the short flight from Detroit to Washington (which didn't make much of a difference, the Canadair CRJ-200 doesn't offer much space for anyone). The flight attendant, John, was rather humorous saying things like, "We will now be turning down the cabin lights to enhance my personal appearance" and, at the end, "Thank you for flying United, we know that you had many bankrupt airlines to choose from, thank you for choosing ours." Haha said Kurt.

On the flight from Washington to Paris I was absolutely delighted to find that I was just about the only person on the flight with no one sitting next to me. The delight lasted until a girl 4 rows up realized her television screen didn't work and demanded to be moved. Thus, I got stuck in a window seat and some chump 4 rows up was absolutely delighted to find that he was now the only person on the flight with an open seat next to him. I felt like something truly unfair had happened to me, I wanted to protest, but then I realized that I had no right to the open seat to begin with, it had just been dumb luck and that same dumb luck had now fallen onto the chump in front of me. It still felt unfair though.

Esther and her dad picked me up in the Citroen (which is, amazingly, in even worse shape than when I saw it 14 months ago) and we drove through hot, stinking, rush-hour traffic into Paris. I slept for about 4 hours, woke up, met Esther's cousin and then we all went out to see the apartment that Esther and I will be moving into in a few weeks. It seems really great, just the right size for the two of us. Later in the evening we all went out to watch the soccer game between Italy and France (a rematch of the World Cup Final in July) which France took 3-1. Paris was happy.

I slept from midnight until 4 am local time, was awake from 4 am to 8 am, and then slept again from 8 am until 1 pm, all local time. I recommend jet lag to anyone that can get their hands on some.

Well, that's been the excitement for now. Obviously it is great to see Esther again and all of that mushy stuff... Thanks for reading and I'll post again soon!

Tune in next week to read about Kurt's foibles with the French language, "That means 'Your sister is a prostitute'!?! A dirty one no less?" and other adventures from Kurtistan. Brought to you by United Airlines and Citroen.

No comments:

Post a Comment